Journal Articles | Book Chapters
BSE Authors in bold
(* undergraduate student, ** graduate student, *** post-doc)
- Davidson, C., L. H. Krometis, S. Al-Harthi, and J. Macdonald-Gibson. 2012. Foodborne exposure to pesticides and methylmercury in the United Arab Emirates. Risk Analysis. DOI: 10.1111/j.1539-6924.2011.01679.x
- You*** C., X.-Z. Zhang, N. Sathitsuksanoh**, L.R. Lynd, and Y.-H.P. Zhang. 2012. Simple Cloning: direct transformation of PCR product (DNA multimer) to Escherichia coli and Bacillus subtilis. Applied and Environmental Microbiology Epub, DOI:10.1128/AEM.07105-11
- Badieyan**, S., D. Bevan, and C. Zhang. 2011. Rational stabilization of cellulases based on molecular dynamics simulations. Biotechnology and Bioengineering, in press. DOI 10.1002/bit.23280.
- Benham, B.L., G. Yagow, I. Chaubey, and K. R. Douglas‐Mankin. In press. Modeling, monitoring, and assessment. Trans. ASABE. 54(6): xxx-xxx.
- Buchanon, B.P.**, R .Schneider, Z.M. Easton, and M.T. Walter. 2011. Incorporating VSA hydrology into a Spatially Distributed Direct Runoff model. J. Am. Water Res. Assoc. (In Press).
- Budhavaram**, N.K. and J.R. Barone. 2011. Quantifying amino acid and protein substitution using Raman spectroscopy. Journal of Raman Spectroscopy 42(3): 355-362.
- Budhavaram**, N.K., M. Stauffer*, and J.R. Barone. 2011. Chemistry between cross-links affects the properties of peptide hydrogels. Materials Science and Engineering Part C: Materials for Biological Applications 31(5): 1042-1049.
- Cianfrani**, C., S.M.P. Sullivan**, W.C. Hession and M.C. Watzin. 2011. A multitaxonomic approach to understanding local- versus watershed-scale influences on stream biota in the Lake Champlain Basin, Vermont, River Research and Applications. Published online (wileyonlinelibrary.com) DOI: 10.1002/rra.1470
- D.M. Ridgley**, K.C. Ebanks**, and J.R. Barone. 2011. “Peptide mixtures can self-assemble into large amyloid fibers of varying size and morphology,” Biomacromolecules, 12(10), 3770-3779.
- Dahlke***, H.E., Z.M Easton, S. Lyon, L.D. Brown, M.T. Walter, and T.S. Steenhuis. 2011. Quantifying the mixing and relative contributions of shallow subsurface stormflow in fragipan-dominated landscapes. J Hydrol. (In Press)
- Dahlke***, H.E., Z.M. Easton, M.T. Walter, and T.S. Steenhuis. 2011. A field test of the variable source area interpretation of the Curve Number rainfall-runoff equation. J. Irrig. Drain. Eng. ASCE. (In Press).
- DeBusk**, K.M. and T.M. Wynn. 2011. Stormwater bioretention for runoff quality and quantity mitigation. J. Environmental Engineering 137(9): 800-808.
- Easton, Z.M., M.T. Walter, D.R. Fuka**, E.D. White**, and T.S. Steenhuis. 2011. A simple concept for calibrating runoff thresholds in quasi-distributed variable source area watershed models. Hydrol Proc. doi:10.1002/hyp.8032.
- Flores-López**, F., Z.M. Easton, L.D. Geohring, and T.S. Steenhuis. 2011. Factors affecting dissolved phosphorus and nitrate concentrations in ground and surface water for a valley dairy farm in the northeastern United States. Water Environ. Res. 8392:116-127.
- Fuka**, D.R., Z.M. Easton, E.S. Brook, J. Boll, T.S. Steenhuis, and M.T. Walter. 2011. Process-based snowmelt modeling: Integration into watershed models. J. Am. Water Res. Assoc. (In Press)
- Habersack**, M. J., T. A. Dillaha, and C. Hagedorn. 2011. Common snapping turtles (Chelydra serpentina) as a source of fecal indicator bacteria in freshwater systems. Journal of the American Water Resources Association. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-1688.2011.00572.x.
- Hey**, C., and C. Zhang. 2011. Process development for antibody purification from tobacco by Protein A affinity chromatography. Chemical Engineering & Technology. In press. DOI: 10.1002/ceat.201100259
- Huang**, W., and C. Zhang. 2011. Assembly and characterization of membrane protein-lipid particles. Journal of Biotechnology, 154: 60-67.
- Huang**, W., J. Zhang, H. Dorn, and C. Zhang. 2011. Assembly of single-walled carbon nanohorn supported liposome particles. Bioconjugate Chemistry, 22: 2012-2016.
- June, R.K., C.P. Neu, J.R. Barone, and D.P. Fyhrie. 2011. “Polymer mechanics as a model for short-term and flow-independent cartilage viscoelasticity,” Materials Science and Engineering Part C: Materials for Biological Applications, 31(4), 781-788.
- Krometis, L.H., E. P. Clark, V. Gonzalez, and M. E. Leslie. 2011. The “death” of disciplines: Development of a team-taught course to provide an interdisciplinary perspective for first-year students. College Teaching 59(2): 73-78.
- Liu***, Z., J.A. Ogejo, A. Pruden, and K.F. Knowlton. 2011. Occurrence, fate and removal of synthetic oral contraceptives (SOCs) in the natural environment: a review. Science of the Total Environment 409(24): 5149-5161.
- Lohani V., M.L. Wolfe, T. Wildman, K. Mallikarjunan, and J. Connor. 2011. Reformulating general engineering and biological systems engineering programs at Virginia Tech. Advances in Engineering Education 2(4): 30 pp. http://advances.asee.org/vol02/issue04/11.cfm
- Marjerison**, R.D., Z.M. Easton, H.E. Dahlke**, and M.T. Walter. 2011. A P-Index transport factor based on variable source area hydrology for New York State. J. Soil and Water Conserv. 66(3):149-157; doi:10.2489/jswc.66.3.149.
- Milne, C.B., J.A. Eddy, R. Raju, S. Ardekani, P.J. Kim, R.S. Senger, Y.S. Jin**, H.P. Blaschek, and N.D. Price. 2011. Metabolic network reconstruction and genome-scale model of butanol-producing strain Clostridium beijerinckii NCIMB 8052. BMC Syst. Biol., 5, 130.
- Rao, N.S., Z.M. Easton, E.M. Schneiderman, M.S. Zion, D.R. Lee, and T.S. Steenhuis. 2011. Protecting critical areas in the New York City source watershed: Combining economic and water quality analysis to examine the effectiveness of best management practices. J. Environ. Qual. (In Press).
- Reed, J.L., R.S. Senger, M. R. Anoniewicz, and J.D. Young. 2011. Computational approaches in metabolic engineering. J. Biomed. Biotechnol., 2010, 20741-4.
- Resop J., J. Cundiff, and C. Heatwole. 2011. Spatial analysis to site satellite storage locations for herbaceous biomass in the Piedmont of the Southeast. Applied Engineering in Agriculture 27(1):25-32.
- Resop**, J.P., J.L. Kozarek**, and W.C. Hession. In press. Terrestrial laser scanning for delineating in-stream boulders and quantifying habitat complexity measures, Photogrammetric Engineering and Remote Sensing.
- Rollin**, J., Z.G. Zhu**, N. Sathisuksanoh**, and Y-HP Zhang. 2011. Increasing substrate accessibility is more important than removing lignin: A comparison of cellulose solvent-based lignocellulose fractionation and soaking in aqueous ammonia. Biotechnology and Bioengineering 108: 22-30. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/bit.22919
- Rosenquist**, S.E., C.L. Levy*, S.T. Sell*, W.C. Hession, M.J. Eick, and D.H. Vaughan. In press. Facilitated iron reduction as a means of rejuvenating phosphorus removal performance of filtration substrates, Transactions ASABE.
- Rosenquist**, S.E., W.C. Hession, M.J. Eick, and D.H. Vaughan. 2011. Field application of a renewable constructed wetland substrate for phosphorus removal, Journal of American Water Resources Association, 47(4), 800-812.
- Shen**, Y., J.A. Ogejo, and K.E. Bowers. 2011. Abating the effects of calcium in the precipitation of struvite from liquid dairy manure. Transactions of the ASABE 54(1): 325-336.
- Sparks**, J.A., J.A. Ogejo, J. Cyriac**, M.D. Hanigan, K.F. Knowlton, S.W. Gay, and L.C. Marr. 2011. The effects of manure handling technique and dietary protein intake on ammonia emissions from dairy cow manure. Transactions of the ASABE 54(2):675-683.
- Utley**, B.C., T.M. Wynn, N. Zhang, and L.E. Teany. (in press). Evaluation of a permittivity sensor for continuous monitoring of suspended sediment concentration. Transactions of the ASABE.
- Wang**, Y.R., W.D. Huang**, N. Sathisuksanoh**, Z.G. Zhu**, and Y.-H.P.Zhang. 2011. Biohydrogenation from biomass sugar mediated by cell-free synthetic pathway biotransformation. Chemistry and Biology 18: 372-380 (Featured article). http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.chembiol.2010.12.019
- White, E.D.**, Z.M. Easton, D.R. Fuka**, A.S. Collick, E. Adgo, M. McCartney, S.B. Awulachew, Y.G. Selassie, and T.S. Steenhuis. 2011. Development and application of a physically based landscape water balance in the SWAT model. Hydrol. Proc. 25:915-925. doi:10.1002/hyp.7876, 2011.
- Yagow, G., B. Benham. K. Kline, R. Zeckoski, C. Wallace**. In press. A method for disaggregating existing model pollutant loads for subwatersheds. Watershed Science Bulletin.
- Ye**, X.H., Z. Zhu**, C. Zhang, and Y.-H.P.Zhang. 2011. Fusion of a family 9 carbohydratecellulose-binding module improves the catalytic potential of Clostridium thermocellum cellodextrin phosphorylase on cellulose. Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, 92: 551-560.
- Zhang X.Z., Z.G. Zhu**, N. Sathitsuksanoh**, and Y.-H.P. Zhang. 2011. One-step production of lactate from cellulose as sole carbon source without any other organic nutrient by recombinant cellulolytic Bacillus subtilis. Metabolic Engineering 13:364-372.
- Zhang Y-HP. 2011. Simpler is better: high-yield and potential low-cost biofuels production through cell-free synthetic pathway biotransformation (SyPaB). ACS Catalysis 1: 998-1009 (Invited perspective). http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/cs200218f
- Zhang Y-HP. 2011. Substrate channeling and enzyme complexes for biotechnological applications. Biotechnology Advances 29: 715-725. http://dx.doi.org/10.l016/j.biotechnadv.2011.05.020
- Zhang Y-HP. 2011. What is vital (and not vital) to advance economically-competitive biofuels production. Process Biochemistry 46: 2091-2110 (Invited opinion review). http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.procbio.2011.08.005
- Adamchuk, V.I., R.D. Grisso, and M.F. Kocher. 2011. Spatial variability of field machinery use and efficiency. Chapter 8, 135-146. In: GIS Applications in Agriculture. Volume Two. Nutrient Management for Energy Efficiency, D.E. Clay and J.F. Shanahan, eds. Boca Raton, Florida: CRC Press. http://www.crcpress.com/product/isbn/9781420092707
- Barone, J.R. In press. “Composites of nanocellulose and lignin-like polymers,” Cellulose Based Composites. New Green Nanomaterials, ed. J. Hinestroza and A. Netravali, Wiley-VCH, in press.
- Benham B., L. Krometis, K. Kline, T. Dillaha, and G. Yagow. 2011. Applications of Microbial Source Tracking in the TMDL Process, In: Microbial Source Tracking: Methods, Applications, and Case Studies (Springer-US).
- Benham, B., L. H. Krometis, G. Yagow, K. Klein, and T. Dillaha. 2011. Watershed modeling for TMDLs. In: Microbial Source Tracking: Methods, Applications, and Case Studies. Springer, US. pp. 313-335.
- Hession, W.C., and J.C. Curran. In press. Impact of vegetation on roughness in fluvial systems, in Treatise on Geomorphology, 12(8) Ecogeomorphology, D. Butler and C. Hupp (eds).
- Sample, D. and L. Fox. 2011. Principles of Stormwater Management for Reducing Nutrients from Urban Landscaped Areas, Chapter 12 in Goatley, J., (Ed.) W. Daniels, G. Evanylo, L. Fox, K. Haering, S. Hodges, R. Maguire, D. Sample, D. Hansen, D. Kindig, T., Sexton, R. Habel, K. Hensler. Urban Nutrient Management Handbook, VCE Publ. No. 430-350, 200 pp, http://pubs.ext.vt.edu/430/430-350/430-350.html.