Ph.D., Agricultural Engineering, Purdue University, 1969
M.S., Agricultural Engineering, Purdue University, 1965
B.S., Agricultural Engineering, Allahabad University (India), 1962
July 2003 – Present: William S. Cross Professor and Head Emeritus
November 1986 – June 2003: William S. Cross Professor and Head, Department of Biological Systems Engineering, Virginia Tech
July 1983 - October 1986: Professor, department of Biological Systems Engineering, Virginia Tech
July 1978 – June 1983: Associate Professor, Biological Systems Engineering, Virginia Tech
January 1970 – July 1978: Assistant Professor, Biological Systems Engineering, Virginia Tech
Selected Major Awards:
- ASABE Blue Ribbon Awards
- Fellow, American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers (ASABE)
- Alpha Epsilon Outstanding Faculty Award – 2000
- ASABE Presidential Citation - 1999
- Honorable Mention for a Technical Paper by ASABE -1993
- Student Branch of ASABE Outstanding Faculty Award -1981, 1976
- Certificate of Teaching excellence – 1979, College of Agriculture and Life sciences, Virginia Tech
The research/extension program I am currently engaged in focusses on Agricultural Safety and Health. More specifically, the program promotes safe agricultural practices for protecting farmers and farm workers from injuries. While promoting prevention of primary and secondary injuries, the program assists farm workers with disabilities to continue their work with the adaptation of appropriate assistive technologies.
In addition to injury prevention and rehabilitation assistance, the agricultural safety and health research team is also active on projects dealing with protecting the farm workers and their families and youth workers from skin cancer and heat stroke. Potential use of appropriate sensor technologies and intervention strategies are being explored to accomplish this goal.
Selected Recent Publications (Since 2007):
- Mariger, S.C., R.D. Grisso, J.V. Perumpral, A.W. Sorenson, N.K. Christensen and R.L. Miller. 2009. Virginia agricultural safety and health survey. J. of Ag Safety and Health 15(1):37-47
- Grisso, R.D., J.V. Perumpral and F.M. Zoz. 2007. Spreadsheet for matching tractors and drawn implements. Applied Engineering in Agric. 23(3):259-265
- Grisso, R.D., J. Perumpral, K. Pevarski, and K. Ballin. 2010. Assistive Technologies in Agricultural. Publication 442-084. Virginia Cooperative Extension. 6pp.
- Grisso, R.D., J. Perumpral, D. Vaughan, G. Roberson, and R. Pitman. 2010. Predicting Tractor Diesel Fuel Consumption. Publication 442-073. Virginia Cooperative Extension. 10pp.
- Grisso, R.D., D. Vaughan, J. Perumpral, G. Roberson, R. Pitman, and R. Hoy. 2009. Using Tractor Test Data for Selecting Farm Tractors. Publication 442-072, Virginia Cooperative Extension. 12pp.
- Grisso, R.D., J. Perumpral, and K. Ballin. 2009. Preventing Secondary Injuries in Agricultural Workplaces. VCE Publication 442-085, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA
- Grisso, R.D., D. Vaughan, J. Perumpral, G. Roberson, R. Pitman, and R. Hoy. 2009. Using Tractor Test Data for Selecting Farm Tractors. VCE Publication 442-072, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA
- Grisso, R.D., J.V. Perumpral, S.C. Mariger, D.E. Suttle, K. Funkenbush, and K. Ballin. 2007. Arthritis and Farming. VCE Publication 442-083, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA.