Mina Shahed Behrouz
Ph.D., Biological Systems Engineering (BSE), Virginia Tech (VT), 2018 -2022 (Expected)
M.S., Environmental & Water Resources Engineering, The State University of New York at Buffalo (UB), 2016-2018
B.S., Civil & Environmental Engineering, Sharif University of Technology (SUT), 2012-2016
August 2018-present, Graduate Research Assistant, Biological Systems Engineering, Virginia Tech
August 2016-July 2018, Graduate Research Assistant, Environmental & Water Resources Engineering, The State University of New York at Buffalo (UB)
September 2015-July 2016, Undergraduate Teaching Assistant, Civil & Environmental Engineering, Sharif University of Technology (SUT)
- Recipient of Leo Bourassa Scholarship from Virginia Lakes and Watersheds Association (VLWA) (2021-2022)
- Recipient of a grant for 7,000$ from the Virginia Water Resources Research Center's (VWRRC) student competitive grant (2021-2022)
- Recipient of Pratt Fellowship from Department of Biological Systems Engineering, Virginia Tech (2018 - 2019)
- Qualified as Talented Student to enter the M.Sc. program in Civil Engineering at Sharif University of Technology and exempted from attending the national universities entrance exam (2016)
- Recipient of the grant for undergraduate studies from Iranian National Elites Foundation (INEF), for outstanding academic success (2015-2016)
- Ranked 6th among 100 B.Sc. (Top 10 %) of the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Sharif University of Technology (2016)
- Ranked 245th in Iran's university entrance exam among approximately 300,000 participants in Mathematics and Physics (June 2012)
- Member of National Organization for Development of Exceptional Talents (NODET) (2005 - 2012)
Teaching Assistant for BSE 2004 Intro Biological Systems Eng. 01/2019 - 05/2019
Teaching Assistant for BSE 3524 Field Methods in Hydrology 08/2018 - 12/2018
University at Buffalo:
Teaching Assistant for CIE 343 Hydraulics & Hydrology 01/2017 - 05/2017
Teaching Assistant for CIE 340 Environmental Eng. 08/2016 - 12/2016
Sharif University of Technology:
Teaching Assistant for CIE 20-669 Environmental Eng. 09/2015 - 01/2016
Teaching Assistant for CIE 20-615 Fluid Mechanics 09/2015 - 01/2016
Teaching Assistant for CIE 20-101 Solid Mechanics Laboratory 09/2015 - 06/2016
The first chapter of my dissertation focuses on characterizing uncertainty in urban runoff quality from specific land uses for a case study watershed in the City of Fredericksburg, Virginia. The City of Fredericksburg is a relatively compact urbanized city located in the Piedmont physiographic province at the Coastal Plain boundary. Monitoring of runoff is planned for one year and water quality is characterized by storm events. Water quality simulations are performed using the widely used urban stormwater model, Stormwater Management Model (SWMM), for each land use. An analysis of uncertainty is conducted to provide an assessment and identification of the main factors affecting water quality due to the differences in land use.
Shahed Behrouz, M., Zhu, Z., Matott, L.S., Rabideau, A.J. (2020) A new tool for automatic calibration of the Storm Water Management Model (SWMM). Journal of Hydrology 581, 124436. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhydrol.2019.124436
Zhu, Z., Soong, D.T., Garcia, T., Shahed Behrouz, M., Butler, S.E., Murphy, E.A., Diana, M.J., Duncker, J.J., Wahl, D.H. (2018) Using reverse-time egg transport analysis for predicting Asian Carp spawning grounds in the Illinois River. Ecological Modelling 384(9): 53-62. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecolmodel.2018.06.003
Shahed Behrouz, M., Sample, D (2020). An analysis of Uncertainty in the Quality of Urban Runoff. World Environmental & Water Resources Congress (EWRI), Henderson, NV. (conference canceled).
Shahed Behrouz, M., Zhu, Z., Soong, D. T., Garcia, T. (2017) Analyzing Asian Carp Spawning Location and Timing using Coupled Hydrodynamics and Egg Transport Modeling. North East Graduate Student Water Symposium (NEGSWS), Amherst, MA.
Zhu, Z., Macro, K., Shahed Behrouz, M., Matott, L. S., Rabideau, A. J. (2018) An Optimization Tool for Green Infrastructure Planning with SWMM. American Geophysical Union (AGU), Washington, D.C.
Shahed Behrouz, M., Zhu, Z., Soong, D. T., Garcia, T. (2018) Analyzing Asian Carp Spawning Location and Timing using Coupled Hydrodynamics and Egg Transport Modeling. World Environmental & Water Resources Congress (EWRI), Minneapolis, MN.