Virginia Tech®home

Department Resources

Business Travel

All BSE travelers are responsible for completing and submitting a Travel Authorization (TA) request and a Travel Reimbursement (TR) request in the on-line travel system. The TA must be submitted prior to any travel outside Blacksburg, even for one day.

You can find the online system in Hokiespa—Hokie Team—TEM Application—Manage Travel Reports—self—Expense Manager……

Follow these guidelines:

  • Fund numbers:  Add a fund number in your profile—you can always change the fund number for each TA.
  • Process order:  You must enter a TA first, then generate a TR from the TA, which must be approved.
  • Trip name format:  Name (last name, first initial), Date (first day of your travel, not the TA entry day), and place (city, state). For example: Li, L. 20141031 Boston, MA.
  • Multiple funds:  To confirm multiple funds on a TR, email Ling Li ( BEFORE YOU SUBMIT.
  • Receipts:  You must scan all receipts and attach the file in the system.  Please try your best to match the receipt items with the expense report.  Please remember to give Ling Li (203 Seitz) the original receipts as early as possible.  The department is required to keep receipts for at least one year for auditing purpose.
  • Your approval:   After you submit your TA or TR, you will receive an email notification.  Please approve your TA or TR through the link provided in the email notification.


VT Travel Estimate and Approval Form is required to be completed and returned prior to any business travel outside Blacksburg, even if only for one day. Travel Approval forms (paper form) for reimbursements from VTF FUNDS ONLY should be submitted to Melody Clark, 200A Seitz Hall.

Travel Voucher Form should be completed online and printed, or completed NEATLY & LEGIBLY by hand, and submitted to Melody Clark, 200A Seitz Hall, within 30 working days after completion of the trip. Original receipts for all itemized expenses must be attached.  Policies and rates on meals and lodging are available from the Controller’s Office/Travel.

These awards are intended to provide graduate students in the BSE department with partial support to participate in national and international conferences at which they present papers or posters about their scholarly work in BSE.  Awards will be made in the form of reimbursement of travel expenses.


  1. To be eligible for a travel award, a student must be:
    1. Enrolled full-time as a graduate student in BSE and
    2. Present a paper or poster at a national/international conference.
  2. The maximum allocation awarded per conference will be $600.
  3. Masters students may receive up to a total of $1200 in BSE Supplemental Travel Awards during their MS degree program.
  4. Ph.D. students may receive up to a total of $2400 in BSE Supplemental Travel Awards during their PhD degree program.

To apply:

Complete and submit the application form, along with (1) the abstract submitted or to be submitted and (2) written confirmation that paper/poster has been accepted for presentation; funds can be awarded provisionally until this written confirmation is submitted, to Ling Li.

Supplemental Travel Award for BSE Graduate Students - Application Form (DOCX | 13KB)


VT Business Cards

Virginia Tech business cards can be ordered through VT Printing Services.  The BSE Department will pay for cards for faculty and staff when hired, or due to changes such as rank, position title, or building. 

  • PLEASE NOTE: Since our department is associated with two colleges, both colleges should show up on the top of your card.  You will need to include this Business Card Sample (PDF | 70KB) to show the layout with the two colleges, which is an approved exception to the normal template.  This will result in a one-sided card with both colleges in the header. 
  • You should only list one office, with associated mail code and street address.  If you have two offices, you should list the office you have designated as your primary office.  If that office is in Seitz Hall, you need to use (0303) as your mail code and 155 Ag Quad Lane as your street address.  If that office is in HABB1, you need to use (0554) as your mail code and 1230 Washington St. SW as your street address.

General details are included at this link:  Please complete the Business Card Order Form listed under Quick Links in the right column.  This form also lists the available quantities and prices.  You can email the order form with the format sample to Teresa Smith at  She will issue the IPR in HokieMart.

Department Vehicles

The Department has trucks which can be checked out for research and fieldwork. These trucks are for project use by faculty and staff employed by the department. A fleet services FS-2 Form must be signed by the employee and kept on file with the department prior to use of a Fleet Services vehicle. A signed form and valid driver’s license must be presented to Laura Lehmann (111 Seitz Hall). Forms are kept on file in the department for as long as the employee is with the department.

Keys are available in the Ecological Engineering Laboratory (113 Seitz Hall). A signed FS-2 form and valid driver’s license must be presented to Laura Lehmann (111 Seitz Hall). Faculty and staff need to provide the service center manager with a valid fund number to which their mileage will be charged. A Departmental charge account number is to be indicated on the vehicle checkout sheet at the time it is signed out. Department Truck checkout sheets are located in 113 Seitz Hall. Faculty and staff must provide name, purpose for use, fund number, beginning and ending mileage and the location the truck was parked in when it was returned on the checkout sheet. Trucks may be reserved ahead of a scheduled trip by contacting Laura Lehmann, 540-231-6094) to determine availability.

Our Department trucks are state vehicles and are considered service vehicles. As such, they can be parked in any service (S) space on campus. If no service spaces are available, they can be parked in faculty/staff (F/S) spaces or commuter/grad (C/G) spaces. Department trucks CAN NOT be parked in handicap or carpool spaces. Additionally, the service spaces directly behind Seitz Hall underneath the walkway are for TWO vehicles only. Vehicles are only allowed to park in the striped area of the parallel space. Parking a third vehicle in the line next to the F/S spaces behind the building is off limits. This is to allow for proper view for vehicles leaving the parking area between Seitz and Smyth. If you park a vehicle in the non-striped space you may be ticketed. The last person to use the vehicle and park it there will be responsible for the ticket. If you have any questions regarding the use of departmental vehicles, please contact Laura Lehmann (111 Seitz).

If you are involved in an accident while using a department truck you must contact the police and the department as soon as possible. Contact Laura Eanes at 540-231-6615 or Laura Lehmann at 540-231-6094 to report any accidents to the department. Insurance information and a copy of the vehicle registration are located in the orange packet in the glove box of the truck. The orange packet has a blue form which must be filled out by the police officer on the scene and returned to the department as soon as possible. Further instructions for reporting the accident are outlined on the orange packet.

Water Quality Laboratory

The BSE Water Quality Laboratory, located in 352 and 358 HABB1, provides support for BSE students and faculty involved in stream and wetland ecology engineering research, and extension projects related to water quality.

The WQL Guidelines for Analysis describes how samples should be prepared and submitted for analysis, guidelines for working in the WQL, and an overview of general lab safety. Contact the lab manager, Kelly Peeler, 540-231-4334), for additional information.

List of services currently available and cost per sample. Contact the lab manager, Kelly Peeler, 540-231-4334), for additional information.

Request for Analysis (RFA) form must be completed and submitted to the lab manager at least two weeks prior to sample submission. Contact the lab manager, Kelly Peeler, 540-231-4334), for additional information.