Biological Systems Engineering (BSE) students can participate in a variety of education abroad activities through the Virginia Tech Education Abroad Office and through the BSE department.
Education Abroad for Biological Systems Engineering in Europe
Would you like to study abroad in Ireland? Virginia Tech is the lead U.S. institution for an education abroad program for biological systems engineering students to study one or two semesters in Ireland at University College Dublin (UCD).
If you are interested in applying to study at one of the partner institutions or would like more information, please contact Priscilla Baker.
International scholarship opportunities available, please note new planning requirements that might impact certain travel plans and planning timelines.
BSE offers two scholarships for international experiences for undergraduate AND graduate students. Since many international conferences are being held virtually due to COVID-19, participants may apply for Pratt Scholarship Funds to offset certain registration costs for participating in international conferences. For VT Faculty-led study abroad programs, please explore listings at VT Global Education Office Programs.
Please also note:
- Virginia Tech Policy 1070: Global Travel Policy, does not authorize any university-supported international travel to locations where the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Travel Health Notice Level 3 or higher. Also, Policy 1070 does not authorize student university-supported international travel to locations where the U.S. Department of State has issued a Travel Advisory Level 3 or higher.(Travel Advisory Map to view current Travel Advisory status for each country)
- BUT, travelers can petition the Global Travel Oversight Committee (GTOC) for an exception to Policy 1070 for high risk travel.
- Faculty-led programs are often approved as a program offering (though, applicants should verify approval status)
- However, applicants participating in other programs will typically need to submit a petition for an exception to Policy 1070, note deadlines in table below.
- For example:
- Are you a graduate student planning to participate and present your work at an international conference? You may need to submit a petition
- Are you an undergraduate student planning to participate in an international service project? You may need to submit a petition
- Planning an international trip during Wintermester 2022 for your team's senior design project? You may need to submit a petition, by 10/13/21
- More details, and assessment and petition forms, available at: High Risk Travel – COVID-19 Requesting an Exception to Policy – Individual Student
Deadlines to Submit Petition for Exception to Policy 1070
Due Dates Based on Departing Flight Date
|13 October 2021||10 December 2021 - 28 February 2022|
|12 January 2022||01 March - 30 April 2022|
|01 March 2022||01 May - 30 June 2022|
The Julia Kathleen Pryde Memorial Scholarship Fund was established through the generosity of her family, friends and our alumni in 2007 in memory of Julia Pryde (BS ’06, MS ’07) who passed away tragically on April 16, 2007. The fund supports undergraduate and graduate BSE students who are interested in international activities, particularly in sustainability of the environment, as Julia was.
Please submit the Julia K. Pryde Memorial Travel Grant Application form to apply for a scholarship related to the sustainability of the environment. Scholarships are accepted any time, preferably at least two months before the proposed activity. The application form provides more information regarding scope of eligible activities during Fall 2020 and Wintermester 2021, given COVID-19 international travel restrictions
The Pratt Scholarship is intended to support international travel and programs that broaden our student’s educational, professional and personal background. In BSE the fund can be used by students for international exchanges, internships, volunteer work, and for travel to international conferences at which the student is presenting their work.