Program Educational Objectives
The BSE program is designed to graduate engineers who apply engineering principles to biological systems in fields/professions such as biotechnology, watershed science, environmental health, and food engineering. The BSE program prepares graduates to accomplish the following objectives in their careers within a few years after graduation:
1. Design solutions to problems at the intersection of biology and engineering at scales ranging from molecular to global.
2. Address societal and ecological needs in food and fiber production and processing, biotechnology, pharmaceuticals, green chemicals, renewable energy, environmental protection, and sustainable development.
3. Collaborate effectively as members of multidisciplinary teams and communicate effectively across a diversity of audiences.
4. Advance professionally through mentoring and life-long learning.
Upon graduation, our students are expected to have the following outcomes:
1. an ability to identify, formulate, and solve complex engineering problems by applying principles of engineering, science, and mathematics
2. an ability to apply engineering design to produce solutions that meet specified needs with consideration of public health, safety, and welfare, as well as global, cultural, social, environmental, and economic factors
3. an ability to communicate effectively with a range of audiences
4. an ability to recognize ethical and professional responsibilities in engineering situations and make informed judgments, which must consider the impact of engineering solutions in global, economic, environmental, and societal contexts
5. an ability to function effectively on a team whose members together provide leadership, create a collaborative and inclusive environment, establish goals, plan tasks, and meet objectives
6. an ability to develop and conduct appropriate experimentation, analyze and interpret data, and use engineering judgment to draw conclusions
7. an ability to acquire and apply new knowledge as needed, using appropriate learning strategies
Undergraduate Student Enrollment and B.S. Degrees Awarded in Biological Systems Engineering
Undergraduate BSE students in Unit Operations Lab